Saturday, November 7, 2009

Blue Like Jazz -- my review --Part Two

I love books like this that spark my own thought process and take me back to the basics of my faith. I just finished Chapter 9 where the author is trying to merge who he really is with the cliched Christian he feels he had become at the time.

His ah ha moment--making something he knew more clear and intense in purpose--is realizing that God's purpose for him is telling the news to those who don't know because that is the only thing that saves mankind. Government cannot save mankind and neither can people save themselves. He also sees with more clarity that everything from unkindness to depravity in all forms is the seed of the evil one. He refers to "Satan lashing out at the earth like a madman". The results of this are reflected in warring tribes; the raping, abusing, and even murdering of wives, daughters, and babies instead of defending them; and putting greed for power or money above being fair and meeting needs of human beings.

My own thoughts branch off from that. We often speak of people who do horrible things as evil. I often have to remind myself that these people are children of God (just like me), who He loves and wants to bring into the fold (as much as he does me). We need to keep perpetrators as well as victims in our prayers. We need to not be so elitist in thinking our sins or sinful thoughts are less an afront to God. We need to remember all of us were born into different circumstances, and many of us were blessed with a more accessible pathway to God. Our job is to be a witness of the love of God and leave the judgment between God and each individual.

1 comment:

  1. I will have to add this to my reading list. Have to finish my books about strong-willed children first, like STAT.

    ReplyDelete