Thursday, July 23, 2009

Quotes of the Day


1. Let me preface this quote with my own opinion that God often allows painful things to happen, but seldom causes it. No matter how we find ourselves in a painful position, God can use it to our improvement and benefit in His will.

"Something painful happened to me. This is how I met it. I was quiet for a while with the Lord, and then I wrote these words for myself:
First, He brought me here. It is by His will I am in this strait place: In that fact will I rest.
Next, He will keep me here in his love, and give me grace as His child.
Then, He will make the trial a blessing, teaching me lessons He intends me to learn, and working in me the grace He needs to bestow.
Last, in His good time, He can bring me out again--how and when only He knows. Let me say I am here first, by God's appointment; second, in His time; third, under His training; and fourth, for His time."

Dr. V. Raymond Edman, late president of Wheaton College

2. And along the same lines:

"The flame shall not hurt you
I only design
Your dross to consume
And your gold to refine."

From the hymn: How Firm a Foundation

1 comment:

  1. How I wrestle with being content during times I feel as if I've been wronged. My first inclination is to fight back; either with indignation that I'll be stronger and not 'let' people hurt me, or with thoughts/ words that make the other person appear 'less' worthy than I.

    I'm wrong in doing both of those things. God heals us and makes us stronger when we realize he allows things in our lives that serve a greater purpose; all out of His love for us in making us more like Jesus.

    It's a slow road to learning sometimes. :) But, thankfully, I don't walk it alone.

    ReplyDelete