Monday, January 18, 2010

TV--Now and Then












Sometimes I wake up with things on my mind on want to write about them. This morning it was television. I don't remember watching much TV as a child. I was pretty much outside all the time, and the thing I remember doing is playing baseball down the alley with several neighborhood kids. Now this was a nice grass covered overgrown "used to be"alley--perfect as a neighborhood gathering place. I remember more the Saturday morning shows like Sky King (I even had his autograph), Lone Ranger, Lassie, and Mickey Mouse Club (which may not have been on Sat). I think when I was a little older I watched Donna Reed, Father Knows Best, and Andy Griffith. I especially remember I must have been early teens with Donna Reed because I so wanted my shirts to fit like they did on Shelley Fabares. Anyway, the point being, I have lived through a lot of television and occasionally realize that it has so gradually changed that I am not even always aware of it. Shows used to be about families (even a child being raised by his father and great-aunt) and their everyday life lessons. Children generally experienced a life delimma and choice that they learned a lesson from during the show. How wonderfully appropriate for families to watch together on TV. Now most comedies and many dramas revolve entirely around sex. It has happened gradually over the years. During the Dick Van Dyke years, we became aware of TV rules about the parents' bedroom scenes. Usually there were twin beds, but if not, everyone had to have a foot on the floor during those scenes. They did not want anyone thinking about sex--just the family dynamics and interractions.

Now many, many shows revolve around sex--with a sense of humor and in a serious mode and both in, but mostly out of marriage. We have seen this so much, we become numb to it, accept it, and often don't stop and think about the impression it is making on our children. Sex should not be thought of as a recreational activity. Most mature adults can handle some sex humor, but for children and teenagers, it is helping to form their view of the world. I remember what I told my children when they were old enough that I knew I had no control of what movies they would be going to. I told them if they stopped feeling embarassed by things they saw that were inappropriate, they were seeing too much of it. I think I've seen too much of it. I enjoy sometimes going to channels that show some of those older shows. I even laugh more now at things like Beverly Hillbillies than I ever did before. Perhaps I am longing for just plain humor unrelated to sex.

No comments:

Post a Comment